Sunday, June 13, 2010

Countdown To Kickoff: 83 Days

In the countdown some days are easier than others. Day 86? Easy. Day 92? Several options. Day 83? Well, that one was pretty tough. After sifting through the all-time rosters, I didn't come up with many options. So, I sat down and starting thinking, "What comes to mind as an Ole Miss fan when I think of the No. 83?" Then it hit me, The Immaculate Deflection.

I was only two when MSU kicker Artie Cosby's last second, 27-yard field goal attempt was blown straight back to give Ole Miss a 24-23 win in the 1983 Egg Bowl, but I always remember growing up and hearing folks say, "That day, God was an Ole Miss fan." Inspired, I set out to find a photo of the play, and search and search and search, and got nothing. Nada. Zip. I wanted to use that play, so I had to improvise. Here is video of the play, which, with a little help from above, gave Ole Miss the thrilling victory and sent the Rebels to their first bowl in 12 years.




It's not a photo, but it's still a cool image.

1 comment:

  1. That was such an exciting moment in Egg Bowl history. I was in the stands for that one!!

    ReplyDelete